Lunar New Year is around the corner! There is no doubt that many of the Chinese households are getting busy stocking up new year goods such as festive food items, new clothes, and putting up plenty of decorations which symbolizes the incoming luck and wealth. Spring couplet is a must to paste on your front door. Umm….perhaps you don't have the time to find a unique design that stands out from the rest? Don’t worry! What you only need is simply a 3D printer! Now, stay tuned for a distinguished 3D Spring Couplet that is coming on your way!
To those of you familiar with Adobe Illustrator and 3D software, you could proceed to follow the 6 steps below to create your own 3D Spring Couplet.
To those who are not design-savvy, simply leave your email address in the “comment” box OR drop a “hello” email to email@example.com, the 3D STL file will be sent back as a new year gift to you!
6 steps below to create your own 3D Spring Couplet
Step1. Create path artwork in Adobe Illustrator
- Use Pen and Shape Tool to create 2D artwork
- Unite artwork into a compound shape. Export > as AutoCAD drawing *DWG file
Step2. Import .dwg file into 3D CAD software
- Note: This step is demonstrated using Rhinoceros 5.0. Alternatively, you may import file into SketchUp, SolidWorks or other CAD software
Step3. Transform 2D curve into 3D model
- Select square outer curve and make a 0.6mm height solid extrusion. This will be a base layer printed in transparent PLA
- Select artwork curves and create a 2.0 mm height solid extrusion. This will be the main body of Spring Couplet printed in RED PLA
Step4. Export 3D model into STL file and import into a 3D printing control software
- Note: This is demonstrated using Cura
- To print dual colour with a single extruder printer, we need to divide printing into 2 working sessions: 0.6 mm – Transparent PLA and 2.0 mm – Red PLA. For Cura user, there is a plug-in which enables pause printing automatically. Alternatively, you can check the time taken to print up to layer 0.6 mm and set a timer after start printing.
- Save as Gcode file
Step5. Start printing with your 3D machine
- Nozzle temperature: 200 °C
- Bed Temperature: 60 °C
- Material: ECOmaylene PLA Anti-flash Transparent / Ferrari Red
- Printer: Hyper + 3D printer
- When the printing reaches 0.6 mm height, pause the printing and change filament from Transparent to Red
- Note: Be careful not to touch X, Y, Z position while changing filament
Step6. Enjoy your 3D Spring Couplet. Paste on your door now!
Do drop us an email if you would like to receive FREE 3D printing file of the spring couplet.
Happy Lunar New Year!
Share this post